Sunday, April 5, 2009

... ahoy mateys! springward ho!!!....

...I used to sail... Or, to be more accurate, i used to be crew on my dads boat... We all were first mates to Captain Daddy... And each sprintime would have us back in the marina, aboard the seaworthy vessel Bananas (it had a yellow mainsail... Get it)... And every year, that first weekend that is sunny and crisp and breezy has me pining for the sea... Well, the lake.

You can live in Toronto for years and forget that its on the water... Unlike Vancouver, or Venice, Paris, London Dublin, or New York, toronto is a city that chooses to forget its roots as a trade route hub and harbour for weary travellers.

But i love Lake Ontario. Over the years i have had a friend who lived on Wards Island, and even had a great apartment whose roof deck looked over the ex to the lake (it was a nightmare during Caribana and Toronto FC, but whatevs...)

I came down to the lake today, just to sit by the waters edge and watch the sun dance on the water, and remember the wide open feeling of being out on the water. Luckily there are a lot of things that bring back that feeling: the sound of gulls, paper chains, the voice of baseball announcers on the radio, k-ways... But the best is a sunny day by the water.

Its like my own personal version of an ipod dock... Recharging the battery from the source, getting myself ready to go back into the world again.

Cheesy. Yes. Fantastic anyway... Hells yeah!

I would give anything to go back out on the water, rocking and moving so fast, sun in my face and wind in my hair. My dad at the wheel, my sister at the bow (she's'the original 'King of the World').

I should rent a boat. Who wants to be the captain?

No comments: