Friday, November 13, 2009

... the jukebox conundrum...


last friday I was faced witha jukebox... and I froze... it isn't that I don't love music, know music... but in the moment... I couldn't remember a SINGLE song that I liked... not one... so I ended up picking "A Little Less Conversation" by Elvis Presley... the Oceans 11 remix.... Not that that isn't a fun song... I like it...

But if jukebox choices are to truly represent you... as Nick Hornby says... its what you like, not what you ARE like... than it isn't the song I would choose to communicate my self to the world....

And then I threw my back out... So I spent a lot of time on my back with a heating pad, staring at the ceiling with nothing to do but listen to Classic Rock on 181.fm The Eagle on my internet stereo thingamajig...

so I made a list of SONGS THAT ARE AWESOME... there was 1 rule. I had to hear the song played... If I heard it, and it was awesome... I wrote it down. For those who care to judge me by my musical taste but cannot decipher my upside down scrawl - Here's the list:

Don't Think Twice - Bob Dylan
Can I Get a Witness - Marvin Gaye
Do It Again - Steely Dan
Changes - David Bowie
Keep On Rocking Me Baby - Steve Miller Band
Tiny Dancer - Elton John
In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
Sweet Melissa - Allman Bros
Everyday People - Sly and the family Stone
Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen
Beast Of Burden - Rolling Stones
Any Way You Want it - Journey
Midnight Rambler - Rolling Stones
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Saturday Night's Alright - Elton John (nearly disqualified for its recent high frequency repetitious presence in my life currently... but it still kinda kicks)
Copperhead Road - Steve Earle
The Break Up Song (They Don't Write 'Em) - Greg Kihn Band
Teenage Wasteland - The Who (Nearly disqualified for its relationship to CSI Miami and my nemesis David Caruso... but it kinda kicks)
Mother - Pink Floyd
Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen



No comments: