Sunday, July 18, 2010

... you're telling me....

I'm reading Plan B by Jonathan Tropper right now. After tackling the thought-provoking and subtle words of Ishiguro I felt that I needed a silly, American fluff, full of obvious plot turns and heavy on the sarcastic and familiar pop cultural references.... I went to Chapters looking for something a little more Nick Hornby....

And I found this novel. I am only 60 pages in right now. It seems ok, it is a bit "Jay MacInerney lite", but its exactly what i was looking for. Its about a group of college friends about 8 years after graduation, as they pass their 30th birthdays, with a little less than enthusiasm.

Its hitting close to home I guess, with the 30 staring me in the face. The idea laid out in the early pages about realizing the hopes and dreams of your childhood had become the expectations of your near future, and that you don't seem to be making the kind of progress you should towards becoming an adult. About how hard it is to let go of the enthusiasm of his 20s.

The protagonist, Ben, on first love:

"Lindsey did nothing halfway. She found something fascinating in every experience, and her enthusiasm was infectious. She drew me in with her ardor even discussing the most mundane things, and when she listened it was with rapt attention and an unwavering gaze. She could make me laugh not only with a sarcastic remark but simply by laughing herself. When she cried at movies she cried hard, and I would inevitably deel my own eyes watering. When I was with Lindsey I came out of a shell I didnt even know I was in, and it was as if the world was suddenly in sharper focus, with brighter colors. She gave me leave to discard my insecurities, and buoyed by her wake, I felt as if I was finally getting my moneys worth out of myself. I knew early on that if Lindsey loved me, she would bring the same passion to bear on me, and I spent countless hours in contemplation of that intoxicating possibility."

... i don't know about you, but I hate the idea of reaching a landmark where that kind of thinking is only considered with nostalgia... i want to own a house and all, but I am not sure I am ready to give up excitement.

No comments: