Friday, March 2, 2007

I have been talking about this for a while now....

.... and still no one has gotten it for me?


This is really the coolest thing I have ever seen. For someone who likes books, design, equality, and playing with meaning, it ties it all together in one kickass package.

I love that it didn't stop with the big three, I love that it is a big fuck you to so much history, while maintaining respect for the product of it, for the faith in it.... I love that I can have it at my house (well, one day, when I can afford to be cool). That it is a statement in ownership... not through swooshes or arches or logoes of anysort. It takes the original logo and brands it, through the unbranding of it, the evening out of what it is supposed to be.

I was talking about this the other day actually.... After I read this article I tried to engage a friend in the debate.... well, to be fair, I tried to get him to listen to me rant about what a great theory this is.... I miss my old college roommate. She was a theology and poli sci student. I majored in (pop) culture studies, and sociology. And it was the days where theory was king, no idea had to be applied. Only had to make sense. We had some zinger debates. I guess I look for that in anyone.

But I digress, since I could not get anyone to talk religion/branding with me I will simply rant here. There is less input from anyone, but also less dissent, which we all know I prefer. It seems like a smple concept, I know that people have caught on to it.... Religion was the first major brand. It had everything: logo/icon, visioning, brand loyalty, promise of fulfillment....lack of fulfillment, advertising/marketing teams.... the whole megillah, if I may.

And now that branding is the new religion, the old school is adapting..... (Buddy Jesus? anyone remember that from Dogma ?) All this adaptation is just trying to make religion more brand identified. It is the faith, the solidarity that are the points now, instead of the beliefs, the content of the "name brand" Even atheists are now a religion, in this new sense.

Because what is religion for, in this world of skepticism, intellectuallism, rationalism and, ultimately, loneliness? We are simply looking for something to believe in. It no longer has to be a deity, it just has to look good.

No comments: